Sunday 5 April 2009

Since when getting your own drink is a CHORE??

When I read this article "Do your kids do chores?", I was like so surprised!


The most popular chores included getting their own drink, getting their own meals, frying an egg and making the bed. I was like, "WTH is this? Since when getting your own drink became a chore to youngsters nowadays?" You meant getting yourself a cup of water is a CHORE? To go and da bao food is a CHORE? Okay loh fine, so the next generation will say "The most popular chores included drinking water and eating food" and you all need people to feed you right??


My definition of household chores are sweeping and mopping the floor, cleaning the window, washing, hanging and ironing your own clothes, and cleaning the kitchen and toilet. Since when looking for drink and food is a chore??


A youngster said, "Oh, chores are all about common sense. When I need to do it, I am sure that I will be able to do it well." Ya right. You think doing chores very easy arh? You try and go and do lah! To be fair, let me go to your house and we do chores together, let complete who can finish better and faster. You do know that different ways of holding your broom can give you different results? Do you know that you need different brushes to clean different part of your toilets?


Some may say that "Walew, why do I need to know all these sia? It is not as if I am going to do all these next time." Oh yes, you are right. But my point is this: doing chores help you to think things different, how to do chores in a more efficient manner? Rather than the hard skills of doing chores, what I want to emphasise here is the soft skills that you may gain from doing the chores – to stimulate yourself to think, can I do this in an easier way? Can I do this differently?


Most importantly, doing household chores help us to be responsible to ourselves. If we messed up our room, then we should be the one who tidy up. If we are the one wearing clothes, then we are the one who should wash and iron it. Why do we need to hire other person to take care of our ownselves? I have some friends, once their maid took leaves and no one handles the chores, they really messed up their day-to-day lives. They don't even know how to us the washing machine – they mistook softener as detergent, they don't know how to iron their clothes – they just came to school with their clothes full of wrinkles. I meant, you cant even take a good care of yourself, how do you expect other people to believe that you are able to take care of your own life and to take care of your future partner and family?


*shaking my head*

No comments: